Summary of the work
Specialist role – User researcher
User research for addition of photo and document upload to existing emergency travel documents online applications (currently in public beta).
Latest start date 18/05/2017
Expected contract length 4 weeks with potential for extension
Work is for Foreign and Commonwealth Office, Digital transformation unit (DTU)
About the work
Who the specialist will work with:
The FCO’s digital transformation unit is a small team, and on the digital side you’ll be working primarily to a product manager. You will also be working with the wider ETD improvement project board and consular staff. The work forms part of a wider technical improvement project which will deliver enhancements to a number of systems (both those used by customers and FCO staff).
What the specialist will work on:
Plan and carry out user research with staff/customers for our emergency travel document (ETD) service, with a particular focus on photo and document upload. Find and recruit research participants who are potential and past users of the service including those with assisted digital needs. Identify personas for the service. Create user stories. Identify and prioritise user requirements for this service and feed into the UX design. Plan ongoing research that can be carried out by the project team after the contract has finished. Test assumptions about users and the service. Answer specific questions about user needs. Build and test prototypes.
Skills and experience
Essential skills and experience:
· Provide demonstrable evidence of how they have delivered user research in an agile team
· Provide demonstrable evidence of identifying personas and creating manageable user stories
· Provide evidence of how they have located, scheduled and interviewed research participants including assisted digital users
· Provide details of how they would conduct remote research with international users (UK nationals based overseas)
· Provide evidence of how a plan has been created with a previous project and methodology for ongoing research that can be implemented by a project team
· Explain how they have previously identified user needs which can easily be translated into technical requirements
Nice-to-have skills and experience:
· User research for photo and document upload services
· Using the gov.uk prototyping toolkit to create prototypes for testing
· Research for a significant change to an existing online service